Beefy Tortilla Soup
2 tb Corn oil
1 lg Tomato; chopped
-- coarsely chopped
2 qt Beef stock; chilled and
-- skimmed of fat
-- (or canned)
-- finely chopped
Salt to taste
1 tb Chopped fresh cilantro
Cayenne pepper to taste
-- (1/4 teaspoon or more)
1 md Onion; chopped
8 oz Lean, cooked ground beef*
1 tb Cumin powder
1 md Fresh tomato
-- coarsely chipped
2 ts Chili powder
1 cShredded cheddar cheese
3Corn tortillas; cut into
- thin strips & fried crisp
2 cTomato puree
* (leftover steak or beef, coarsely shredded or chopped
For cool nights - Quick and easy - Uses leftover beef.
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute tortillas,
garlic, onion and cilantro over medium heat to soften tortillas.
2. Add tomato puree and bring to boil.
3. Stir in cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, canned tomato puree and
beef stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook 15 minutes.
4. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste and cook, stirring frequently
for another 15 minutes. Strain fat from surface if necessary.
5.Add beef and chopped tomato to bowls and pour equal portions of
strained stock into bowls.
6.Garnish each bowl with equal portions of cheese and tortilla strips.
* COOKFDN brings you this recipe with permission from: * Texas Beef