Chinese whelks with beansprouts and button mushrooms
225g/8oz shelled whelks
3 tbsp sunflower oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped very finely
5cm/2in piece of fresh root ginger, chopped very finely
1 large red finger chilli, seeded and sliced
100g/4oz button mushrooms, sliced thinly
50g/2oz mustard greens or pak choi, coarsely shredded
2 tbsp oyster sauce
½ tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp dry sherry
1. Thinly slice the whelks and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or large deep frying pan. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir-fry over a high heat for 30 seconds.
3. Add the sliced whelks and stir-fry for 1 minute.
4. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the mustard greens and the beansprouts and stir-fry for another 30 seconds, until the leaves have just wilted into the bottom the the pan.
5. Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce and sherry and cook for another 1 minute. Serve immediately with some steamed rice or noodles.